Monday 30 January 2012

Selfportraits...

at 1000km..

From Colesberg to Philippolis is about 57 km. We didn't stop in Colesberg because by this time we had been driving the whole day and we just wanted to get to Philippolis to rest and eat something, preferably in a shady spot out of the sun!









About 30 km before Philippolis we came across this stretch of landscape with dramatic storm clouds building up before us on the horizon and yellow grass as far as the eye could see. We had to stop.

Because the road was so quiet and we saw only a few cars, I decided it was time for a family portrait. I got my wife, Cheryl to photograph me standing in the middle of the road with my back towards Coleberg and I photographed her in the same way but with her back towards Philippolis, so a 180 degree change of view.








Visible in the image is our car, a 2004 model Volvo XC70. We averaged 10.7 liter per per 100km which is not bad for a car with 180000km on the clock. The Volvo is great for travelling because one can pack everything in the large boot, including the kitchen sink, and because it's a 4x4 it can go almost anywhere. It is also quite stable on dirt roads and around fast corners and has heated seats for those cold winter mornings. I kept to the the speed limit all the way, which over here is 120km per hour. It also has a great sound system and my daughters made us a few cd's to listen to on the sometimes very long and desolate stretches of road....

Regards, Ivan...

Please vist my website at . . . http://ivanmuller.zenfolio.com/


No comments: